Small groups of people can do amazing things. These grassroots efforts have done much for the shaken baby syndrome/abusive head trauma (SBS/AHT) community. Below are a few examples of awareness efforts that any group can accomplish.
- Work with your local hospital to distribute prevention materials in post partum and pediatric units.
- Support your local child care providers that care for infants and young children to have shaken baby training.
- Encourage junior high and high schools to educate students on the dangers of shaking a child in the human development and child care classes.
- Contact your local news outlets to do human interest stories on a case and to provide general information on shaken baby syndrome to increase public awareness.
- Encourage your local officials to devote funding to prevention programs to provide information on shaken baby syndrome and provide services to families.